Monday, March 1, 2010

so obviously I never got around to keeping a food diary focusing on local foods. homework, facebook, girls, boys, npr, the daily show/colbert report, work got the better of me. but basically - all of the food in my house on a regular basis comes from far far away and doesn't generally taste very good.

Grapes from Chile
Clif Bars from California
Spinach from California
Almonds from California
Kroger products from Cincinnatti (who knows where they are actually from before they get distributed from Cinncinnati - i don't know how to spell this haha)
Bananas from Ecuador
Apples (out of season) from Washington
Cheese from New York and Vermont

I don't think I could find one thing in my house that's grown and produced locally.

Wow.

I shouldn't be surprised, but once you start paying attention it really sort of knocks the wind out of you.

So this spring/summer is going to revolve around me trying to join a CASA and buy vegetables and fruits from them, going to lots of U-Pick places and picking TONS of fruit, working on farms in the surrounding area, learning how to store/can/freeze produce form the summer so I can eat it throughout the winter.


No comments: